29 July 2013

Intensive Adventures

I like to call myself an "academic pragmatist", or a "cognitive miser" on special occasions.  I learn for tests, and I read for papers.  (Well, generally speaking.  Of course if something fascinates me that's a different case.  Let's not go thinking I get no enjoyment out of learning.)  Grades are what drive me to learn, and that generally works quite well.  I should say that it generally worked quite well.

Six weeks into the program's summer intensive, and everyone holds such high standards for themselves.  Our classmates are too friendly and relatable for any antipathetic tension in the air, but I know many of us are feeling like we're running to keep up with a train that's just started to leave a station.  I am, anyway.  I guess this is what grad school is: successful, talented graduates with the same goals and interests, brought together and taught to excel.  The problem is that I'm trying too hard to be at the front of the train.  I am competing against myself, against my highest standards, and it's exhausting.

Comparison is the root of a good amount of evil, I'd say.  It's sucking the joy out of the B+ I earned in my first graduate school course.  The class average was an A-.  Honestly, being below average is not a situation in which I like to find myself, and historically I have usually managed to avoid it.  It doesn't matter that others have more of a background in the class material.  It matters that wherever I started, I ended the race a few breaths behind 50% of my class.  I don't like these thoughts, but they nag, and I don't want to be thinking them at all!

The other day, I was standing outside of the campus hospital, waiting for a friend.  It was bright, so I went over to stand in the shade of some palm trees and soon realized that I was waiting on the released-patient curb.  Aides brought out two begowned elderly people in wheelchairs, and we all waited together under the palm trees.  Suddenly I realized something: I had been focusing on the wrong population.  My classmates, as charming and intelligent as they are, should not be the people I use to measure my success.  The reasons that I'm studying aren't in my classroom; they're on the sidewalk outside the hospital.

I feel that God showed me this very deliberately at the beginning of grad school, so that I can have the proper motivation going forward.  It made me think of, "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to me."  My motivation is Jesus in a wheelchair.

3 comments:

  1. It's always so cool to see how God shows you things! So encouraging. (And I'm glad you're back to your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kirsten!! I think you have enough experience chasing after trains...especially irish ones!!! LOLOLOL! Just be the best that you can be! You are already so awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. รวยเร็ว รวยไม่อั้น เป็นเศรษฐีได้ไม่รู้ตัว เพียงเล่น sa gaming บา คา ร่า และใช้สูตรบาคาร่าของเรา เพราะสูตรบาคาร่าของเว็บไซต์เรา เป็นสูตรบาคาร่าใช้ได้จริง หลายคนคงสงสัยว่าสูตรบาคาร่าคืออะไร สูตรบาคาร่าก็คือ เป็นตัวช่วยให้คุณได้เล่นบาคาร่าเพื่อเพิ่มโอกาสชนะมากสูงสุดถึง 90% และเป็นตัวช่วยในการอ่านเค้าไพ่แทนคุณ จึงทำให้การเล่นบาคาร่าของคุณราบลื่นขึ้น สามารถรับสูตรบาคาร่าได้ที่ Sagameherelao ฟรี ทุกสูตรไม่มีค่าบริการ และสามารถเล่นบาคาร่ากับเราได้ฟรีตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง

    ReplyDelete